Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Some Days it's Wood Fun-ning Instead of Wood-Working

Just before the Handworks events in 2013 I had the pleasure of working a piece of Olive wood for the tote and knob for one of my Winter Smoothers. I thought I would probably never get the chance to work a piece of Olive that was that amazing again.




I would be wrong. Mother nature always seems to deliver and she never ceases to amaze me.



I am often asked if I tire of making the same plane multiple times. The answer is "No". One piece of 0-1 tool steel looks pretty much like any other piece of 0-1 tool steel and the same goes for brass and bronze. However combining different metals with different woods and considering I get the opportunity to work some of the most beautiful woods that exist in this world, heck this stuff is so interesting I can hardly sleep at night!

Somedays it's working just like any other job but on days when you get to work pieces of wood like the ones pictures above....heck, it's more like wood fun-ning!

Excuse me, I think I hear some Ziricote calling me. (grin)

Ron


5 comments:

  1. Simply mesmerizing. I can´t stop staring at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so stealing that line .. woodfunning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn I think we could all use a bit more wood fun-ning! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? THANKS!
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I am so delighted I located your I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work.
    Woodworking business

    ReplyDelete